Life is precious. Cherish it.

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken


Sweet, tangy and crispy -- that's how my six year-old son describes my orange chicken recipe. It's actually one of his favorite dishes. And I must admit, it took me a while to perfect this recipe. I remember the first time I tried to cook orange chicken, it was too sweet. The second time, it was fine. But I knew I can make it taste better, I knew something's missing. So when I tried to cook it for the third time, I made the sauce first. I didn't stop experimenting with the sauce until I achieved that sweet, tangy and spicy taste.

Ingredients:

2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into small pieces
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup corn starch plus 1 tbsp corn starch
1/4 cup flour
1 tbsp ginger, minced
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 tsp crushed red chili pepper
1 tbsp rice wine
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 tsp salt
pepper
oil for deep frying

For the sauce:
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp water
5 tbsp brown sugar
zest of 1 orange
zest of one lemon
4 tbsp white vinegar
juice of 1 lemon


Mix beaten egg, salt and pepper in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix 3/4 cup corn starch and flour, stir in water. Then add the flour mixture to the egg mixture. Add the chicken and stir to coat.


Heat oil in a pan for deep frying. Add chicken, fry in small batches at a time. Do not overcook the chicken, just fry it 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.


You can make the sauce while frying the chicken. Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mixed well.


Drain chicken on paper towels and set aside. Clean the pan. Add 1 tablespoon  oil.
When the pan is hot enough, add the minced ginger and garlic. Stir fry for about 10 seconds then add the crushed red chilli pepper. Stir for 5 seconds then add the rice wine.
Add the sauce and bring to boil. Add the cooked chicken, stir and mix well.

Dissolve 1 tablespoon corn starch in in water. Add to chicken. Heat until sauce is thickened.



Transfer in a plate, serve and enjoy!


Orange Chicken



No comments:

Post a Comment

Never eat more than you can lift. - Miss Piggy